The echo of the call issued by Michael Cusack and his co-founders of the G.A.A. in 1884 did not reach Clones until 1886. Then, as at other times since, the men of the ancient town of St. Tierney, ever conscious of their Gaelic heritage, rallied to the call and a branch, as clubs were then called, of the G.A.A. was immediately formed. Even before the founding of the G.A.A. on that day in Thurles in 1884, gaelic games were already played in Clones and the surrounding area – despite the fact that there were no definitive rules or regulations!

The branch was formed under the guidance of Mr. Peter McAvinney, butter merchant, Mr. Charles McKenna, butter buyer, and Mr. Edmund Maguire. Noble’s field in Lisnaroe was procurred for practice, and preparations were made to have the branch ready for whatever competition was arranged by the infant organisation. Like most of the other early Ulster teams of that period, the Clones team took the name of the “Red Hands of Ulster”, a name they were known as up until 1913.

The club’s first opponents were our neighbours Currin Sons of St. Patrick, in a game played at Lisnaroe.

Please see a comprehensive history of the club to mark our 125 year anniversary (1886-2011) at the following link Club History to 2011